In the Toy Library
The Tea Tree Gully Toy Library is open once again for borrowing, with additional retrictions in place. Our focus is to keep our members, volunteers and staff safe while still providing a valuable community service. When visiting the toy library it is a requirement that you follow these measures:
- Only 10 people (including children) in the toy library.
- Double glass entrance doors will be open – if doors are closed that indicates that the toy library is closed or there are already 10 peoople inside and it is not possible to enter.
- Sanitising station will be positioned at entrance – Visitors are required to sanitise hands upon entering toy library.
- Returns Desk – Front desk is now for returns only. Please stand on floor markers and unload your returns into trolley provided.Member card – please hold card for staff member to scan or just tell us your member number or family name.
- Toy cleaning – It is vital that all toys returned have been cleaned by borrower prior to return. Members returning toys will be asked “Have you cleaned your toys?” Be aware that this declaration will be recorded in our system and will be made available to Government authoriities if requested. Toys being returned clean is key to our service remaining open.
- There will be no opportunity for “stay and play”. As we are restricted to only 10 people in the toy library at any time we are asking members to make their toy selections as quickly as possible to enable all our families to get in and swap toys over. Toy library visits will be limited to 15 minutes maximum. Children are welcome to attend with parents but may find the adjustment to waiting to enter and not being able to open toys and play difficult to understand. Similarly, parents may find it challenging to select toys and supervise children with toy library doors wide open.
- Only 2 people or 1 family per aisle.
- Loans Desk is situated at the other end of our toy checking counter, adjacent to Dress up rack.
- Members to stand on floor markers and will be required to bring a bag suitable for carrying toys out .
- Exit from toy library will be via side door which opens onto corridoor back into library. It is extremely important that anyone exiting the toy library stops to check the corridoor is clear prior to stepping out. This space is widely used by library staff and it is imperative that this shared space is kept safe for all users.
- Loan receipts will be emailed to borrowers.
- Delivery door – the usage of this door will be extremely restricted. Only bulky and heavy items should be dropped off at this door. If you have an armful of small items, please use a bag and bring them in to the toy library with you. Similarly, if you are borrowing bulky or heavy items that cannot be carried through TTG library, we will ask you to place them by the delivery door yourself and come around as quickly as possible to collect. We are keeping our volunteers as safe as possible and minimising any contact with public.
- Click and Collect – we are currenlty unable to offer an after hours face to face opening session. We will continue to offer a very limited Click and Collect service on Tuesday 5-6.30pm. This will allow our members who are unable to attend during the day to still access toys for their families. As it is very limited we ask members not to book appointments any more frequently than fortnightly. Appointments and holds will need to be finalised by 8am on Tuesday morning. No further changes are possible after that time. Any items on hold and not booked into an appointment will be deleted at 8am Tuesday morning. Any items not collected at an appointment will have holds deleted and items returned into circulation.
Toy library management and staff are taking social distancing protocols seriously and if neccessary members and visitors will be reminded to do the same.
Please ensure that the toys you choose for your child are age appropriate. Ages and stages guides are available.
Need help selecting which toys to borrow? Our experienced Toy Library Manager will be available during toy library opening hours to help you select toys for your children. The Manager can give you great tips and ideas for creative play and activities, to help bring out the best in your children.
Checking Toys/Missing Pieces
It is your responsibility to check toys before you leave the Toy Library or as soon as you get home. Inform us within 24 hours if any pieces are missing. Although all toys are checked on their return, pieces may sometimes get separated when children are playing in the Library. Even if the pieces were missing before you took them home you will unfortunately be responsible for lost pieces if you fail to check and inform us.
Toys must be checked and cleaned prior to return. If a piece is missing, please extend the loan period while you locate the piece. If a toy is returned with pieces missing you will be required to take the toy home again for another loan period to find the missing pieces. Some pieces can be remade or replaced. If the piece still cannot be found you may be asked to cover the cost of what is missing. Careless damage (i.e. a dog eats a toy or it is thrown in the bin) will be charged at full replacement cost.
Some toys may require batteries for full fuction. We are unable to cover the cost of replacement batteries. Feel free to insert your own batteries and remove before returning the toys, if you wish.
As part of Toy Libraries Australia’s COVID-safe plan approved by public health officials, all members are required to thoroughly clean their toys prior to returning them to the toy library. If you do not clean your toys at home, you will be requested to clean them in the toy library.
We thank you for keeping all our members safe.
How To Clean
Wipe the toy thoroughly with a cloth damp with either a pH neutral detergent (such as diluted dishwashing detergent) or a 2-in-1 cleaner/disinfectant (most multipurpose sprays available at the supermarket). If using a 2-in-1 multipurpose spray, the solution must be sprayed onto the cloth until it is quite damp. You can use something like an old toothbrush or a cotton bud to get into hard to reach places.
Dry the toy with a tea towel or leave to dry overnight. Please make sure the toy is perfectly dry before returning it to its bag or box. Do not submerge toys in water as they can trap water inside them or in the case of wooden toys, they can get too wet to effectively dry.
If anyone in your family has been unwell (e.g. vomiting, diarrhoea, respiratory infection) please contact the toy library prior to returning the toy for further advice.
- Baby Rattles – Do not to immerse rattles in water as they collect water which can lead to harmful bacteria developing. Wipe the surface with a cloth.
- Wooden Toys and Train Sets – Wipe over. Allow time to thoroughly dry. These toys should not be immersed or soaked.
- Duplo/Lego – Wash well with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Rinse and leave to drain overnight.
- Bath Toys – Please wash after using in the bath and ensure no water remains trapped in the toy.
- Outdoor/Sandpit Toys – These must be cleaned well remembering that the next member may wish to use it inside. Remove all sand and dirt and clean well with hot soapy water.
- Board Games and Cardboard Puzzles – Paper-based materials, such as puzzles and games, are not considered a high risk for transmission and do not need additional cleaning or disinfection procedures. Please clean counters and other plastic parts of a game.
- Fabric items (Dress-ups/Puppets/Dolls Bedding/Infant Soft Toys/Fabric Bags) – Hand wash or gentle machine wash with laundry detergent and hang to thoroughly line dry.
- Bikes, scooters and other ride-ons – These must be washed, keeping in mind that the next member may wish to use them inside.
- Toy storage bags and boxes – Wipe handles and all areas that have been touched, ensuring everything is dry before placing toys back in them.